Sunday 29 September 2013

15 Second Review: The Sleeper (2012)

I am in two minds about The Sleeper. I have read some pretty scathing reviews of this movie, each of which have been a little unfair: The Sleeper is nowhere near as bad as its IMDB score (currently 3.8) would suggest. On the other hand, it is certainly not perfect. The effects are fairly shoddy at times; there is one particularly awful decapitated head that should have been cut out of the film, for instance. The script is utterly derivative because the film is a neo-grindhouse effort. However, the tone works quite well on the whole, capturing much of the late 70s/early 80s atmosphere that the makers are clearly aiming for. In fact, compared with Justin Russell's previous neo-grindhouse film Death Stop Holocaust  (2011) and many other attempts to replicate a bygone slasher era, The Sleeper is a resounding success. That said, no matter how much I enjoyed the vibe, I am left wondering whether I really need The Sleeper. After all, I already own a copy of Black Christmas...

No comments:

Post a Comment