Sunday 19 January 2014

15 Second Review: Insidious Chapter 2 (2013)

 
For about ten minutes somewhere around the hour mark of Insidious: Chapter 2 I was reminded why I like horror sequels. For that brief period, the film began to play fast and loose with its own mythos and with its prologue. I even began to convince myself that I had enjoyed the first hour of the film, which is constituted by a string of entirely incoherent, unrelated ghostly set-pieces, with nary a dialogue sequence or conversation scene to string them together. Then Lin Shaye's character uttered the unforgivable nearly direct-to-camera exposition-laden line 'So...that's what that was about' and I was snapped back to reality. Insidious Chapter 2 is made marginally better by that blissful ten minutes of interest, but they ultimately go nowhere. The rest is just as unscary and disappointing as its predecessor. Here's hoping this is one spectre that stays dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment